- Our Purpose
- Get Involved
- News and Events
- Resource Center
- Patient Blood Management Programs
- Educational Opportunities
- CME Video Modules
- Evaluation and Management of Anemia in the Pre Operative Setting
- Non Invasive Continuous Hemoglobin Monitoring and Patient Blood Management
- Use of Plasma in Central Nervous System Bleeding Consensus Recommendations
- An Essential Tool for Optimizing Clinical Outcomes and Improving Patient Safety The SABM Standards
- Shared Decision Making in PBM Partnership Between Clinician and Patient
- Transfusion Overuse Exposing an International Problem and Patient Safety Issue - Physician
- Transfusion Overuse Exposing an International Problem and Patient Safety Issue - Nurse
- CME Video Modules
- Related Links
- Member Login
- Dues Renewal
THE SOCIETY FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF BLOOD MANAGEMENT (SABM®)
defines its mission as the improvement of health outcomes by advancing comprehensive patient blood management practices, promoting innovative research, and providing quality professional and public education.
The leadership of SABM and its partners working together will establish patient blood management as a world-wide standard of care resulting in improved health for everyone.
Why support our mission?
Blood transfusion is costly to us all! While blood transfusion is safer than it has ever been, serious health risks remain. Evidence shows that patient outcomes are better when transfusions are reduced.
- Documented risks include potentially fatal transfusion reactions, acute lung injury, immune system changes that may lead to increased infection rate and circulatory overload.
In addition, recent studies report that the average cost of transfusing one unit of red blood cells is $1200.
- Up to 50% of transfusions are prescribed for no justifiable reason at a societal cost of $8.4 billion USD, excluding complication costs
- Demand for blood will outstrip supply as the population ages
- Transfused patients often have longer hospital stays, increasing consumption of hospital resources and costs
Educated physicians are the key to effective decision making. A transfusion that does not benefit exposes the patient to increased risk. SABM® is recognized as the premier provider of professional education in patient blood management. We have led the way in researching and promoting effective patient blood management strategies that not only improve patient safety but also help reduce healthcare costs.